Gardens add beauty to any home. Whether it’s small or large, it provides you with an aesthetic advantage. However, if your garden has a variety of plants, flowers and bushes, it’s important to add something that will look functional as well as eye-catching. That’s where garden edging or lawn edging comes into the picture. Garden edging is used to separate your plant beds from the grass of your lawn and it also creates attractiveness. However, edging your gardens has many other benefits.
Why Garden Edging?
It does much more than just providing aesthetic benefits. Yes, a properly edged lawn gives a clean, tidy look to your landscape, but, there are many more compelling reasons why you should get permanent edging around your lawn. The advantages associated with garden edging are discussed below.
- Makes maintenance easier and quicker.
- Reduces the need for frequent weeding and keeps the mulch within the plant beds, thus, reducing the need for repeated mulching.
- Increases attractiveness and you will have a more defined pathway thus, visitors will know where to walk.
- With properly placed edging, grass will not grow out of its place. A common problem in most gardens is that grass and even plants, grow out of the way. Garden edging will eliminate this problem.
- Edgings will mark the areas where plants and grasses should not meet. Therefore, you can take care of your garden with ease.
- Brings artistic value to your garden, improving the overall look as well as value of your garden.
Some agree that garden edging is not vital to plant health. However, the benefits state otherwise. Edging keeps out weeds from your plants, stopping the spreading of diseases. With properly placed edgings, you won’t have to worry about spraying herbicide often, increasing overall plant health.
Types of Garden Edging
When you visit your local gardening store, you will notice that there are various types of edging. These different types of edging fit all budgets and landscape designs. Here are some popular garden edges that are commonly used:
- Railroad Ties
- Wire Fencing
- Landscape Timbers
Choose the Right Garden Edging
Once you have decided that garden edging is the ideal solution for your gardening needs, you have to decide which option is the ideal one for you. Here are a few things you should consider while choosing the right garden edging.
Firstly, assess the design of your garden; is it formal or casual and comfortable? Also, consider the design of the edging you have selected. Secondly, consider your budget. Edging like paving stone, are beautiful but come at high prices. Your garden can also look great with less expensive material like stones from the drive or vinyl.
Thirdly, ensure that it can endure the climate of your city. Stones especially can endure all kinds of climates. Fourthly, consider the advantages and disadvantages of each type. And finally, consider the amount of maintenance the particular edging will require. Narrow edging will require more maintenance as compared to thicker edges.
Make sure you select the right garden edging to enjoy the various benefits they offer.